Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Box of Happy!

Big Sister turned 27 on the first of this month and I thought I'd share what I put together for her birthday.

Our house budget has really put a crimp in my gift-giving style so I've been forced to be as resourceful and thrifty as possible, especially as we go into the Birthday Hell part of the year. Here's a rundown of birthdays happening in the first 4 months of the year:

-Monster: February 22

One week later...

- Big Sister: March 1st

Two weeks later...

-Mommy Dearest: March 22

A week and a half later...

- Me!: April 3

Two weeks later...

- Husband: April 17

And by that time our rendition of Happy Birthday is tired, out of tune and probably quite unpleasant for anyone listening, and we're so sick of cake it's pathetic.

This year, I knew I needed to do something a little more special for Big Sister, the transition from "just one of the girls" to "mommy" is not as easy or glamorous as one might think and it takes a toll on a girl. Her birthday present needed to be all about her fabulous self, not even the slightest hint of "mommy," and simply decadent.

Big Sister is on a budget herself, apparently babies are expensive or something?? And I knew whatever funds were left over at the end of the month probably go towards babywipes, nipple cream and laundry detergent— oooh fun!

So I came up with a box of the simple stuff you buy yourself when you need a little pick me up, and called it a Box of Happy!

Wanna peek inside??





















Lots of good loot! Such as:

- Peeps- Big Sister's favorite Easter candy

- Bubblegum- When was the last time you blew bubbles just for fun?? (plus it always reminds me of being a kid)

- A soft cuddly scarf. Seriously, that scarf is like a little piece of heaven wrapped around your neck. I think magical fairys knit it with Unicorn hair or something ridiculous because IT.IS.CRAZY SOFT.

- A relaxing candle. One thing about Big Sister? She ALWAYS has a candle burning when you go over to her house. The girl loves her some candles.

- Pink sparkly lipgloss and fuschia nailpolish- The nailpolish had to be of the instant dry variety because with Baby E around, it takes Big Sister 2-3 times as long to do anything anymore. At least this way she can have pretty nails in an instant.

- A pretty frame with the poem 'I Carry Your Heart' by E.E. Cummings that is a pretty fantastic description of the relationship between sisters. Take a look:





















My graphic designer work friend is going to help me turn this into something really cool so it's not just a poem printed out on lame paper shoved into a frame.

In the end, Big Sister was really excited to have a whole box of stuff just for her. I really hope she understands that just because she's a "mommy"now, she's still "one of the girls" and deserves to be spoiled once in a while.

Love you Big Sissy!

1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

Awesome gift! I love that poem.