Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Random Wednesday

1. Please share one memory of your high school graduation.
Our commencement speech was amazing and one my mother continues to quote to this day. The speech centered loosely around Dr. Suess' book 'Oh the places you'll go,' which is a traditional high school graduation gift in my family, and the importance of wearing comfortable shoes because you're going to walk a lot of miles in this life. Truer words have never been spoken.

2. What is one "Emergency Use" item you keep in your vehicle.
I have a warm blanket, anti-bacterial hand gel, a reflective sunvisor and umbrellas...oh, and a granola bar in the glove box (just as much for actual emergencies as it is for hungry, cranky husbands that need to eat)

3. In your region, do you celebrate graduation open houses? If so, how many open houses, bridal showers, weddings, graduations are on your upcoming events calendar?
For all of our graduations my mother held an open house and displayed our academic achievements for friends and family to fawn over. For my high school graduation I had racks upon racks of dance costumes, a heap of used pointe shoes and my dance photos. It was also my mother's brilliant idea to sew us each a quilt with pictures from childhood up to graduation coupled with quilt squares that relatives wrote encouraging/loving/congratulatory notes on. Mine is and will always be a treasured keepsake and memory of the love and support I have from my family.
This summer, surprisingly, I don't have any graduations, bridal showers or weddings to attend...guess my fun party dresses will have to keep each other company in the back of my closet....
4. Tell me one truth you believe about motherhood.
Being the best mom is a choice, and not necessarily the easiest choice to make day in day out. I remember my mom once said to me "I don't feel like being a mom today." That may sound like a horrible thing to say, but actually, it made me realize that the things my mom did/does for me and my sisters is not required of all mothers, it's a choice and some mothers may choose not to do them. My mom wakes up everyday and makes the choice to be a good mom, to do the things she may not want to do but does anyways because she loves her kids.

5. What was the last thing you broke.
I don't remember the last thing I broke, but I do remember the funniest thing I broke and how I broke it! Husband and I were having an argument about something (obviously not anything too important,right?) I was standing near our cluttered counter where there was a lint roller brush standing up on its end. I got so mad that mid-argument I grabbed the handle of the roller brush and BANG!-BANG!-BANG!- smashed it to smithereens against the counter. I imagine it replaying in slow motion, me hollering about whatever, hair gone amok, maybe some spittle flying out of my mouth and shards of plastic and tape flying about my head as Orff's O Fortuna plays in the background. (click the link, picture the situation and laugh 'til you cry....that's what I do!)

6. On average how many pieces of junk mail do you receive daily?
Usually 2-3, without a doubt a credit card offer, a couple of grocery ads and an insurance offer from Geico or the local State Farm branch. Luckily we have a trash can near the mailboxes so they never make it back to our house!

7. Do you like to shop by catalog?
I like to window shop by catalog and then check it out in person. I have a *difficult* (to put it nicely) body to shop for so trying things on to see how they fit/drape/lay is a necessary evil. I would love to be one of those types that can flip through a catalog, shop in a store or browse online and pick things up without a worry at how they'll fit.....sigh, it's just not in the cards for me and never has been.

8. Is lawn maintenance at your house a "his job," "her job," "his/her job" or a "that's why we have teenagers" job?
No yard! Things that are "his job" at our house is litter boxes, taking out the trash and dishes (apparently I don't load the dishwasher to his liking, fine by me!). The rest (laundry, cooking, cleaning) is up to me.

9. Which room would you like to redecorate in your home?
All of it! I'd love to be able to paint or buy decorative things like a mirror and knick-knacks, but I lack a single aesthetic to stick to... Ican see it in my head, I just don't know what to call it. Oh, that and I'd so much rather buy clothes and shoes than house stuff. Clothes and shoes I know, paint swatches and knick-knacks? It's all greek to me....

10. Do you read a newspaper regularly or do you read most of your news online?
Our office gets the Sacramento Bee daily, so I try to pick one up in the morning but for my hometown news and hyper-local coverage, I go online as they don't deliver out of their areas.

11. Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
How could you not?! I also believe that God never gives you more than you can handle, and on that note, some people can handle more than others. (A pearl of wisdom from good ol' Dad)

12. Are you worried about doing things right or doing the right things?
I feel like I have a pretty solid moral compass so doing the right thing has never been difficult for me to do. However, as a worrier and a bit of a perfectionist, doing things the right way, the first time has always been something I struggle with. I demand some pretty lofty expectations of myself and have been told to not get so caught up in the expectation that I lose sight of whats realistic... I'm a work in progress!

No comments: