Saturday, July 3, 2010

Garage Sale Finds

How is it that until a few weeks ago, I hadn't been to a garage sale since I was a kid?!

I remember garage sales that my mom and dad used to have on practically a yearly basis, because with four kids you tend to accumulate alot of crap! Dad turned on the classic rock station on the garage radio and mom always baked cookies and gallons of lemonade and the girls and I would man a snack bar table to earn a little extra money.

We'd clean out the garage, our toys and our closets to find what we would display on folding tables that would spill out onto the driveway in the hot summer sun.

G Family garage sales ended when the new millinium rolled around and we moved to the Golden Coast and into a neighborhood where garage sales were forbidden and our neighbors said (and this is a direct quote) "Well we don't want to attract the kind of people who shop at garage sales."

REALLY?! Because you just did. WE shop at garage sales you crazy ol bat....

Anyways...a few weekends ago Mother-In-Law announced that there were several yard and garage sales happening and that we would go do some damage with her cleverly devised plan of attack.
And damage we did do...Here are a few of the treasures we escaped home with:


Cute red ceramic jars for flour, sugar, coffee or for hiding treats (Pretzel M&M's anyone?? shhh...)

Inspired by my mother's own extensive collection, I couldn't resist this pretty teacup which, after further inspection revealed to be dipped in 22 kt. gold.


Oh and I can't forget the rockin' surround sound system that Husband made out like a bandit with for $50.

After returning home, Mother-In-Law gifted me with one of her recent garage sale finds, this pretty necklace:



This is the front:


This is the back:


And this is what's inside:


I'm thinking I may have to start scouting out the good garage sales in Capitol City....Just think of all the loot I could find!

Oh dear, if you ever see me on hoarders I want to apologize for the embarrasment in advance!

1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

I love the ceramic cannisters! The shape, the color--everything! And the teacup is your mom through and through!! : )